2021年8月17日火曜日

TOEFL iBT Independent Writing 1) Most experiences in our lives that seemed difficult at the time become valuable lessons for the future. 2) Would you rather be self-employed, work for someone else, or own a business? - revised -

 

Writing Topic A

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Most experiences in our lives that seemed difficult at the time become valuable lessons for the future. Use reasons and specific examples to support your answer.

 

 

Lets Think

1.       Let’s take a look at the details of the topic. It says, “MOST experiences,” Why does this word is used?

Note: Some experiences, those irreversibly damaging cases like child abuse or disasters, are excluded.

2.       What kind of experiences can we use as examples?

Note: The statement says, “seemed difficult at the time,” and “valuable lessons for the future,” so it is talking about the tough experiences that make you learn something, ranging from your childhood piano lessons to moving to a foreign country to losing your pet.

 

Examples of Harsh Experiences


going abroad

living by yourself

living with a troublesome person

living in poverty

having trouble with someone

fighting a disease

having an injury

being a disaster victim

practicing instrument, sports, etc.

taking a difficult test

failing in a crucial test

starting a project

being in charge of something

being extremely busy

making a serious mistake,

hurting someone,

embarrassing yourself

being misunderstood

being rejected

being betrayed

being bullied

being abused

being discriminated against

losing something or someone



3.      Answer the following questions and tell the answers to your partner or group members.

When and where did you have the experience?  What was tough?  How did you feel then?  How did you deal with it?  How do you feel about the experience now?  What have you learned from it?

 

Hints for Points

1.       You learn your bad point.

2.       A tough change changes our lifestyle for the better.

3.       A tough experience makes you tenacious.

4.       By going through a rough experience, you learn that the world is full of unjust things and that you have to be considerate to others all the more. 

5.       Even the death of your beloved makes you realize that your heart had always been with the person even when you were not with him or her and that the bond is stronger than you thought and will protect you.

 

Essay for Ideas and Expressions   (Barrons, Writing for the TOEFL iBT, p.280)

People say that experience is the best teacher, and I believe this is true. Difficult experiences, especially, can teach us valuable lessons. They can help us overcome fears, they can teach us better ways to do things, and they can show us that we have friends who are ready to help us.

   Difficult experiences can help us overcome fears. I remember the first time I had to give a presentation to my classmates. I was very shy and afraid to speak in front of the whole class. I spent a long time preparing for my presentation. I was nervous and didn’t sleep well the night before. I was surprised when I gave my presentation and everyone listened. No one laughed at me. They asked questions and I could answer them. Now I know I can talk in front of the class and do a good job.

   Difficult experiences can teach us better ways to do things. I had a very embarrassing experience when I took the test to get my driver’s license. I didn’t practice for the test because I thought I was such a good driver. But I failed. I didn’t really know what to expect, so I got nervous and made mistakes. I was embarrassed about my failure, and my parents were disappointed. Now I know that it is always better to prepare myself for something, no matter how ready I think I am.

   Difficult experiences can show us that we have friends. Once I was very sick, and I missed several months of school. I thought I would have to repeat the year. I didn’t have to because there were a lot of people who helped me. My teachers gave me extra time to do my work. My classmates explained the homework to me. People who I didn’t even know well helped me make up the work I lost. I learned that I had friends where I hadn’t expected any.

   Nobody looks for difficult experiences, but we all have to go through them from time to time. They help us overcome fears, learn better ways of doing things, and show us who our friends are. These are all valuable lessons for our future.

 

Your Sample Essay Structure

Introduction

Point 1

Point 2

Point 3

Conclusion

 

Speech Time

Make a one-minute speech on this topic.

 

Sample Paragraph Development

Main IdeaA tough experience makes you tenacious.

Supporting Detail (general)My case is an arduous exercise in my childhood.

Supporting Detail (specific)When I was in my kindergarten, teachers would often take the children to a nearby shrine sitting on top of a hill, which can be called a cliff. To reach the top, we had to walk up long and steep steps made of stones, which were lined straight from the foot to the top of the hill. A few children ran up, followed by most of the others at a slower pace. As a weak child, I toiled in the small group at the end. I felt as if the steps would never end. I was also afraid of my legs giving up in the middle. Then, the labor made me even stop worrying and focus on walking up. Reaching the top gave me relief and I met smiles of some children noticing that I had made it.

Follow-upDecades later, when I was not weak anymore, I went there and did the task. It turned out to be a tough one, even to an adult. I felt for a moment the same fear that I had as a child that I might get stuck in the middle of the stairs. I told myself that I would reach the top if I kept moving my legs, and I realized that I had been telling the same thing to myself since when I climbed the stairs as a child, whenever I was doing something hard. The hard tasks of my kindergarten had given me the lesson that a predicament will end if you do not give up and keep moving on.

ConclusionThis lesson has helped me pull through hardships patiently all my life.

 

Your Sample Paragraph Development

Main Idea                                                                                       

                                                                                                    

Supporting Detail (general)                                                                       

                                                                                                    

Supporting Detail (specific)                                                                        

                                                                                                                                                                                                        

                                                                                                    

                                                                                                   

Follow-up                                                                                       

                                                                                                   

                                                                                                   

Conclusion                                                                                      

                                                                                                   

 

Comments or Suggestion from your partner or group members

                                                                                                    

 

Writing Topic B

Some people prefer to work for themselves or own a business. Others prefer to work for an employer. Would you rather be self-employed, work for someone else, or own a business? Use specific reasons to explain your choice.

 

 

Lets Think                  

Ask them each other the following questions that can be related to this writing topic.

1)       What is important in your life?

Note: time with your beloved, work, hobby, enjoy life, study, etc.

2)       What does work mean in your lifestyle?

Note: contribution to society, means to earn money, self-realization, self-improvement, hobby, etc.

3)       What are the advantages and disadvantages of working for someone else?

4)       What are the advantages and disadvantages of being self-employed?

5)       What are the advantages and disadvantages of owning a business?

 

Ideas and Expressions

1.       Owing a business provides freedom as well as responsibility.

2.       I want to be part of a big project of a big company/organization that contributes to society.

3.       I want to have a stable life.

4.       My dream is to own a business.

5.       I want to be an interpreter and work with various entities.   

6.        Working for an employer can be stressful, even though you can forget about work once you leave your office.

7.       Being self-employed allows some freedom, but it is basically the same as working for someone else.

 

Essay for Ideas and Expressions

(Barron’s, Writing for the TOEFL iBT, pp.280-281)

Many people have dreams of becoming self-employed or starting their own business, but I don’t understand this. I think it is much better to work for someone else. When I work for someone else, I don’t have to take risks or make difficult decisions alone. I have someone to tell me what to do, someone to evaluate my work, and most important of all, someone to give me a regular paycheck.

   As an employee, I don’t have to decide what to do every day. My employer gives me work to do, and she gives me deadlines for it. I don’t have to worry about what needs to be done next on a project. That’s my employer’s job. Without this worry, I can just focus on getting the job done right.

   When I have an employer, I never have to wonder if my work is good or bad. My employer tells me if I did a good job, or if I need to do something over again. I don’t have to worry if a client will like my work or if a product is good enough to sell. That is my employer’s concern. My employer lets me know how my work is and if necessary, I will do it again or do it better the next time.

   I know I will get a pay check every two weeks when I work for someone else. I don’t have to worry if the clients have paid or if we have sold enough merchandise. If I go to work every day, I get my paycheck on a regular basis. I work so I can get paid, and I want to be able to be sure of receiving my money.

   Many people want to feel independent and that is why they want their own business. For me, however, it is more important to feel secure. I feel secure knowing that I have an employer to give me directions, evaluate my work, and pay me regularly. That is why I prefer to work for someone else.

 

Sample Essay Structure

Introduction I would rather be an employee than an employer or a freelance.

About Being Your Own BossStarting a new business can help improve the economy.

About Being a FreelanceIt is risky to be a freelance.

My ChoiceI am not interested in running a business.

ConclusionBeing my own boss is not my cup of tea.

 

Your Sample Essay Structure

Introduction = Outline

Point 1

Point 2                                                    

Point 3 / Counterargument-treatment

Conclusion = Wrap-up

 

 

Sample Paragraph Development

A.      Main Idea I am not interested in running a company.

Supporting Detail (general)I have never been a leader and wanted to.

Supporting Detail (specific)”Each individual doing his or her best in his or her position will improve the whole society,” which was a musician’s comment I heard when I was young, has been my motto.

Follow-upBeing a rank-and file does not embarrass me. Society will not run without us.

ConclusionI am happy if I am of any use for a company and can be paid for it.

 

B.      Main Idea Owning a business would give me a lot of freedom in business.

Supporting Detail (general)If you are the boss, you can carry out your idea at your discretion.

Supporting Detail (specific)If you work for an employer, it is almost impossible to put new ideas into practice. You are supposed to do your assignment under the policy decided by the management.

Follow-up This does not mean that I would like to be an autocratic president. Decision-making in business actually involves consultation with other executives because there are many things for a CEO to consider, such as effects to the community or the fate of your employees and clients. The difference is whether I have the right to lead a new project or make a change.

ConclusionI would like to try my ideas in business in my own ways by becoming leader of a company.

 

Your Sample Paragraph Development:

Main Idea                                                                                

                                                                                             

Supporting Detail (general)                                                              

                                                                                            

 

Supporting Detail (specific)                                                               

                                                                                             

                                                                                            

                                                                                            

 

                                                                                             

Follow-up                                                                               

                                                                                            

                                                                                            

Conclusion                                                                               

                                                                                            

 

Comments or Suggestion from your partner or group members

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

注: コメントを投稿できるのは、このブログのメンバーだけです。