2011年10月23日日曜日

Class Supplement, TOEFL Essay, Spending time with large groups of friends or one or two very close friends?

☆Writing Topic
Some people like to socialize with is large groups of friends. Others prefer to spend their social time with one or two very close friends. Compare the advantages of each choice. Which of these two ways of spending them do you prefer? Give reasons to support your answer.

☆Let’s Think:
This question consists of three parts: a premise, a direction, and a question. The first sentence is the premise that there are two totally opposite ways to hang out with friends. The second sentence is the direction that you compare the good points of each way. The third and fourth sentences ask you which choice you prefer and why. The comparison should be objective because you discuss things in general but the choice can be objective because the question uses the word “prefer” not “think.”

☆Hints for Points
Advantages of open friendship (large groups of friends)
1. gives you experiences with many kinds of people
2. increases chances of getting good information and opportunities
3. develops your social skills
Advantages of closed friendship (one or two very close friends)
1. enables you to know the person deeply
2. can be relaxing
3. often develops into long lasting intimate relationships like that of a family

Reasons of your choice:
your character: outgoing ⇔ shy
your goal: networking for the future, to find a good person to make friends with ⇔ to spend time meaningfully, to unwind yourself

Counter-arguments:
Open friendship: superficial and will not last long ⇔Most relationships in life are superficial and close relationship could develop with some of the casual friends.
Closed friendship: narrows your view ⇔Other social relationship such as those with classmates, club members, and community members is enough to widen your views.


☆One-paragraph Essay
Let’s write a one-paragraph essay on this topic before writing a full essay.

Sample 1
【Introduction】 I prefer to spend time with large groups of friends because I do not know whether I can make good friends with a particular person.
【Advantages of open friendship】 Hanging out with many people gives you chances to interact with many kinds of people and helps you learn social skills.
【Advantages of closed friendship】 Being with one or two close friends all the time is relaxing and enables you to know the person really well.
【Your preference】 I would like to know as many people as possible now because, although I enjoy comfortable and intimate relationships, I do not have close friends right now.
【Counter-argument】 Socializing with many people means that you have no time for precious experience gained through intimate interactions with close friends, but it is no use to miss such experience in my case since I have not found a person for it.
【Conclusion】 I choose to be with as many people as possible and hope that I can develop good friendships with some of them in the end.

Sample 2
【Introduction】 I prefer to spend time with one or two close friends because I am a perfectionist.
【Advantages of open friendship】 Socializing with large groups of friends will make your life more open to society and develop your social skills.
【Advantages of closed friendship】 Spending most of your social time with one or two very close friends will let you know your friend very well and often gives you a life-time experience.
【Your preference】 I choose to hang out with a friend or two because I cannot be satisfied with superficial knowledge in anything including friendship.
【Counter-argument】 Such a relationship could narrow my social life if I am too deeply absorbed in it. However, my busy life exposes me to many kinds of people and widens my views every day,, so there is no chance that I will become out of touch.
【Conclusion】 Chances to know a person well is very rare, so I would like to spend as much of my social time with a person I am interested in as possible.


Your one-paragraph essay
【Introduction】

【Advantages of open friendship】


【Advantages of closed friendship】


【Your preference】


【Counter-argument】


【Conclusion】

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

注: コメントを投稿できるのは、このブログのメンバーだけです。