2019年7月29日月曜日

TOEFL iBT Independent Writing, Suppose you had a chance to take a two-week trip to a foreign country. What country would you most wish to visit? - revised -


Writing Topic 
Suppose you had a chance to take a two-week trip to a foreign country. What country would you most wish to visit? Discuss your choice using specific details and reasons.


Let’s think
1.      Name possible foreign destinations for a three-month vacation, a two-week trip, and a two day trip.
Three-month vacation:
Two-week trip:
Two-day trip:
2.      Name countries you would like to visit for a two-week trip and explain why? What would you like to do during the two-week stay in the country you chose?
3.      Research the history and the culture of the country you would like to visit and report the result to your group members.


Hints for Points
1.      I would like to visit one of English speaking countries for English study. 
2.      China or other emerging economies would be nice to visit so that I can see vigorous societies.
3.      I wish to go to a country that is not so popular as a tourist destination because it is exciting to see a country that I do not know well and whose official language I do not know at all.
4.      I like ancient history. Therefore, I would definitely visit either Egypt, China, Iraq (Mesopotamia), or Iran (Persia) if there is not a travel ban.
5.      I am interested in biology, so either the Galapagos Islands or a country in the Sub-Saharan Africa would be my choice.


Sample Essay Structure
Introduction If I had a chance to take a two-week trip to a foreign country, I would like to visit Indonesia because I have studied the Indonesian language and it has many places to visit.
Point 1I would like to communicate with the people in Indonesian.
Point 2Indonesia is a country with diverse living traditional cultures and magnificent structures.
Negative PointAs a Japanese, I cannot be a totally happy tourist in this country because Japan occupied Indonesia in the past, but this makes the visit all the more meaningful.
ConclusionA two-week stay in Indonesia would help deepen my understanding of the country and get a better command of the language.

Sample Essay Structure Patterns


A.    Introduction
Point 1
Point 2
Negative Point and Why It Does Not Matter
Conclusion

B.    Introduction
Good Places for a Two-Week Trip
Reason for Choice 1
Reason for Choice 2
Conclusion = Wrap-up


Your Sample Essay Structure
Introduction
      
      
      
Conclusion

Speech Time
Give a 50-second speech on this topic.


Full Introduction Writing
A full introduction of an essay follows a form as follows.
Hook A sentence to attract the reader’s attention
Background The explanation of the hook
Thesis What you want to say in the essay
Reason(s) The outline of the Reasons of the thesis


Sample
Hook For many, the word “Down Under” has a negative connotation, but to me it sounds great.
Background I have heard a lot of good things about Australia from my mother who has been there.
Thesis If I had a chance to take a two-week trip to a foreign country, I would like to go to Australia.
Reason(s) I would like to see the unique wildlife, interact with the people, and learn about its history.

Ideas for Hooks and Backgrounds:
A            Hook Two years have passed since I left the US and I still miss the people there.
Background I did a one-year homestay and had a very good time there.
B            HookAlthough I am Japanese, my hometown is Jakarta, Indonesia.
Background I spent my childhood in this city near the equator.
C            HookMost people in Japan are not interested in countries that are located on the other side of the globe, but I am not one of them.
BackgroundI have been to some of the South American countries.
D           Hook& Background & ThesisThere are many attractive countries in Europe such as France,
Italy, Spain, Germany, and England, but I would like to go to Austria if I had a chance to take a
two-week trip to a foreign country.

Your Sample Full Introduction
Hook

Background

Thesis

Reason(s)



Comments or Suggestion from your partner or group members
                                                                                                    
                                                                                                     
                                                                                                    
                                                                                                    



0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

注: コメントを投稿できるのは、このブログのメンバーだけです。