2019年6月28日金曜日

TOEFL iBT Independent Writing, Do you prefer to spend your time alone or swith friends? - revised -


Writing Topic 
Some people prefer to spend most of their time alone. Others like to be with friends most of the time. Do you prefer to spend your time alone or with friends? Use specific reasons to support your answer.


☆Let’s Think
1.      This question is about your preference. What is the difficulty in writing about your preference? What can you do about it?
--- Preferences seem too obvious to explain while they are often difficult to understand to others, especially those who do not know you. This is probably because preference is personal. Without background information, things like preference are difficult to understand. Your readers do not know you at all, so you have to provide as much background information related to your preference as possible to help your readers understand why you prefer either of the two choices.
2.      Share reasons with others who have the same taste of spending time as yours.
3.      Answer questions from people with the idea different from yours on this topic like “Do you ever feel lonely?” or “Don’t you get tired?”


☆Hints for Points
Reasons for spending time alone.
-       I can concentrate on what I want to do.
-       I prefer sharing feelings and ideas with online friends rather than real-life friends.

Reasons for spending time with friends
-       Friends can share many things such as feelings and information.
-       To grow up, I try to be among others


☆Essay for Ideas and Expressions
(Barron’s Writing for the TOEFL iBT, p.308)


☆Sample Essay Structures
Sample Essay Structure 1 
【Introduction】Although I like spending time with friends, I prefer to be alone most of my time.
【Point 1】I have friends and I enjoy spending time with them.
【Point 2】However, I have many other things that I enjoy doing alone.  e.g. studies and hobbies
【Point 3】If I spent with my friends all the time, I would get tired.
【Conclusion】I like to do things alone most of the time, and absence makes the heart grow fonder..

Sample Essay Structure 2
【Introduction】I prefer to be with my friends as much as possible because friends are the most important in my life.
【Point 1】Spending time with friends is good for my mind.
【Point 2】The more we spend time together, the better we understand each other.
【Point 3】When I am alone, I do what I have to do alone such as studies and reflection, but they are duties and not really enjoyable.
【Conclusion】There is nothing better for me than being with friends.

Your Sample Essay Structure
【Introduction】
【Point 1】
【Point 2】
【Point 3】
【Conclusion】


☆Paragraph Development
Paragraph development is a key to giving sufficient background information. If a paragraph has only one sentence or two, it usually lacks some essential sentences such as supporting details (background information), or the main idea. A sample of a paragraph development is as follows.
                                            
Sample Paragraph Development
【Main Idea】Spending time with friends is good for my mind.
【Supporting Detail (general)】The warmth of friendship is essential to my mental health.
【Supporting Detail (specific)】When I am depressed or restless, I go out to see my friends. As I spend time with them, chatting, watching movies, or playing games, I gradually regain my confidence and energy.
【Follow-up】 It does not matter whether I share my problems with my friends or not. Just being with them does the trick.
【Conclusion】 Meeting friends keeps my mind healthy.

Your Sample Paragraph Development:
【Main Idea】                                                                                  
                                                                                            
【Supporting Detail (general)】                                                                                 
                                                                                            
【Supporting Detail (specific)】                                                                                
                                                                                             
                                                                                            
                                                                                             
【Follow-up】                                                                                
                                                                                            
                                                                                            
                                                                                            
【Conclusion】                                                                               
                                                                                            
Comments or Suggestion from your partner or group members
                                                                                             
                                                                                            
                                                                                             
                                                                                             
                                                                                            

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

注: コメントを投稿できるのは、このブログのメンバーだけです。