2011年7月17日日曜日

Class Supplement, TOEFL Essay, L 17, 2011

Writing Topic 1
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Most experiences in our lives that seemed difficult at the time become valuable lessons for the future. Use reasons and specific examples to support your answer.

Let’s think
Let’s take a look at the details of the topic. It says, “MOST experiences,” so irreversibly damaging cases like child abuse or PTSD are excluded. It says, “seemed difficult at the time,” and “valuable lessons for the future,” so it is talking about the tough experiences you will appreciate later. We live and learn. We go through an endless series of difficulties of various degrees. The tougher the experience is, the stronger we become. The more complicated the experience is, the more knowledge we acquire. I guess most people agree with this statement and can easily come up with examples from your childhood piano lessons to moving to a foreign country to losing your pet. When and where did you have the experience? What was tough? How did you feel then? How do you feel about the experience now? What have you learned from it?


Your short response:
When and Where?




What was tough?




How did you feel?




How do you feel about the experience now?




What have you learned from the experience?


Ideas and Expressions

going abroad,
sharing a room with someone
living by yourself
living in poverty
having trouble with your neighbor
fighting a disease
having an injury
practicing piano
taking a difficult test,
failing a crucial test
starting a project
being in charge of something important
being extremely busy
making a serious mistake,
hurting someone,
embarrassing yourself,
being rejected
being betrayed,
being misunderstood,
being discriminated against
losing something or someone important
having a difficult relationship



Essay for Ideas and Expressions
(Barron’s, Writing for the TOEFL iBT, p.280)
People say that experience is the best teacher, and I believe this is true. Difficult experiences, especially, can teach us valuable lessons. They can help us overcome fears, they can teach us better ways to do things, and they can show us that we have friends who are ready to help us.

Difficult experiences can help us overcome fears. I remember the first time I had to give a presentation to my classmates. I was very shy and afraid to speak in front of the whole class. I spent a long time preparing for my presentation., I was nervous and didn’t sleep well the night before. I was surprised when I gave my presentation and everyone listened. No one laughed at me. They asked questions and I could answer them. Now I know I can talk in front of the class and do a good job.

Difficult experiences can teach us better ways to do things. I had a very embarrassing experience when I took the test to get my driver’s license. I didn’t practice for the test because I thought I was such a good driver. But I failed. I didn’t really know what to expect so I got nervous and made mistakes. I was embarrassed about my failure and my parents were disappointed. Now I know that it is always better to prepare myself for something, no matter how ready I think I am.

Difficult experiences can show us that we have friends. Once I was very sick and I missed several months of school. I thought I would have to repeat the year. I didn’t have to because there were a lot of people who helped me. My teachers gave me extra time to do my work. My classmates explained the homework to me. People who I didn’t even know well helped me make up the work I lost. I learned that I had friends where I hadn’t expected any.

Nobody looks for difficult experiences, but we all have to go through them from time to time. They help us overcome fears, learn better ways of doing things, and show us who our friends are. These are all valuable lessons for our future.


Writing Topic 2
Some people prefer to work for themselves or own a business. Others prefer to work for an employer. Would you rather be self-employed, work for someone else, or own a business? Use specific reasons to explain your choice.

Let’s think
Owing a business provides a lot of freedom as well as responsibility. Working for an employer may not be free from stress while you can forget about work once you leave your office. Being self-employed allows some freedom but it is basically the same as working for someone else, because you cannot refuse job-offers for fear of missing opportunities in the future. Which suits your value and character?

Paragraph Development
Let’s practice paragraph development once again, for a well developed paragraph is indispensable in writing an essay persuasive enough to satisfy ETS raters.

【Main Idea】 To represent the paragraph briefly
【Explanation】 To show exactly what you mean by the main idea
【Detail / Example】 To provide a specific example
【Follow up】 To make up for some information lacking in the example
【Conclusion】 To wrap up the paragraph

Sample paragraph development:
【Main Idea】 Owning a business gives me a lot of freedom.
【Explanation】 It allows me to try new ideas.
【Detail / Example】 If you work for an employer, it is almost impossible to put new ideas into practice. You are supposed to do your assignment under the policy decided by your employer. But if you are the boss, you can carry out your idea at your discretion.
【Follow up】 It is true that decision making in business involves many things to consider such as affecting the community or jeopardizing the fate of your employees and clients and I would have to consult with other executives, but this is the same in any other important decisions I make. As long as I am aware of my responsibility and listen to others, I think I can do well, and the pressure and bother won’t prevent me from feeling thrilled by the challenge in business.
【Conclusion】 I think my life will be livelier if I own a business.

☆Your test paragraph development:
【Main Idea】

【Explanation】


【Detail / Example】





【Follow up】



【Conclusion】



Essay for Ideas and Expressions
(Barron’s, Writing for the TOEFL iBT, pp.280-281)
Many people have dreams of becoming self-employed or starting their own business, but I don’t understand this. I think it is much better to work for someone else. When I work for someone else, I don’t have to take risks or make difficult decisions alone. I have someone to tell me what to do, someone to evaluate my work, and most important of all, someone to give me a regular paycheck.

As an employee, I don’t have to decide what to do every day. My employer gives me work to do and she gives me deadlines for it. I don’t have to worry about what needs to be done next on a project. That’s my employer’s job. Without this worry, I can just focus on getting the job done right.

When I have an employer, I never have to wonder if my work is good or bad. My employer tells me if I did a good job, or if I need to do something over again. I don’t have to worry if a client will like my work or if a product is good enough to sell. That is my employer’s concern. My employer lets me know how my work is and if necessary, I will do it again or do it better the next time.

I know I will get a pay check every two weeks when I work for someone else. I don’t have to worry if the clients have paid or if we have sold enough merchandise. If I go to work every day, I get my paycheck on a regular basis. I work so I can get paid and I want to be able to be sure of receiving my money.

Many people want to feel independent and that is why they want their own business. For me, however, it is more important to feel secure. I feel secure knowing that I have an employer to give me directions, evaluate my work, and pay me regularly. That is why I prefer to work for someone else.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

注: コメントを投稿できるのは、このブログのメンバーだけです。