2013年7月19日金曜日

TOEFL iBT independent writing, a subject that you have never had the opportunity to study and would like to study -partly rewritten-


Writing Topic

If you could study a subject that you have never had the opportunity to study, what would you choose? Explain your choice, using specific reasons and details.

 

 

Let’s think

What to write:

You could choose a subject related to your study or interests. They can be related to your major, hobby, future goal, or interests. Also, you could choose a subject that is totally different from your field. For example, if you are a major of physics, you could choose economics or Latin American literature.

 

How to write:

You are supposed to explain your choice. What if you have only a vague idea and do not know how to explain? This test requires you to write at least 300 words in an organized way. One idea to come up with good words of explanation might be to follow good old grade school writing manners and to answer the questions starting with Wh or H. Who / What made you interested in it? When / Where did it happen? How did you become interested in it?

 

 

Sample short response

If I had time to study a subject that I have never had the opportunity to study, I would study astrophysics because I have a feeling that it will give me an opportunity to think about life and universe, for it deals with the physics and the universe and involves studies of both the invisible matters and huge objects in the vast space. A memorable word of one of the members of the art club I belonged to in my high school days has made me interested in it. He said, “Electrons circling around atoms is similar to planets orbiting the sun, isn’t it?” Even though I found it interesting then and I still remember it, this inspiring analogy of physics between the smaller and the larger never really encouraged me to study the related subjects and I chose the humanities. Young people are sensitive to the clues to solve questions in life and universe which all things around are always hinting to humans, and I think this old high school friend of mine had a particularly strong perception of these clues. In the course of gaining knowledge about this word of his, I hope that I will have a glimpse of the secret of life and universe which I might have missed in my youth.

 

 

Your short response:

If I had time to study a subject that I have never had the opportunity to study, I would study … because …

 

 

(Answers to Who / What / When / Where / How)

 

 

 

 

 

 

Essay for Ideas and Expressions

I have always been interested in art and literature, so people will think my choice is strange. If I could study something I have never had the opportunity to study, I would choose calculus. If I could actually learn something as difficult as that, it would give me a lot of confidence. Besides that, I think I would like it and it could help me learn some useful skills.

 

The only mathematics I have studied are the required courses in high school. I finished those requirements early and since then I have chosen to study other subjects. I never liked my math classes and I didn’t do well in them. I have always thought that I couldn’t learn calculus. If I learned calculus, I would feel very smart.

 

I like art and literature because I like beauty and creativity. I never liked math because I didn’t think it was beautiful and creative. I like solving problems, however. And I might actually discover something beautiful and creative about math. I think if I tried studying calculus, I would actually like it.

 

There are some new skills I would like to develop. There are some electrical problems in my house and I would like to learn how to fix them myself. I would like to learn how to do repair work on my CD player or even on my computer. If I learned calculus, it would help me develop the skills I need to do these things.

 

I think it would be really interesting to try learning something completely new. For me, calculus would be a big challenge. If I learned it, I would feel smart, I would enjoy myself, and I could develop new skills. It would be a big accomplishment for me.

(Barron’s, Writing for the TOEFL iBT, pp.283-284)

 

 

 

 

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

注: コメントを投稿できるのは、このブログのメンバーだけです。