2016年3月20日日曜日

TOEFL, iBT, Independent Writing, What would you like to know about the future? - rewrite -

Writing Topic
Imagine that you had the power to know one thing about the future. What would you choose to learn and why? Offer specific reasons and details to support your choice.


Let’s Think
One of the main characters of the Sci-fi classic, Back to the Future, who accidentally visits the future buys a copy of almanac to learn some future information for gambling to get rich after coming back to the present. The leading character, on the other hand, tries to solve his own problem, the cause of his failure in the future. What is your main concern about the future? What makes you concerned about it? Would it benefit you to learn the information? In another recent sci-fi short story, Sibyl by Deborah Walker, the future teller with the name goes, “You can’t change the past; (you can change) only the future”.

The following might serve as some cues for your thought:
My main concern about the future is related to …
1.    the environment: climate change, endangered species, etc.
2.    the world: nuclear war, future geopolitical map, globalization, next disaster, etc.
3.    technology: medicine, cloning, robotics, space exploration, etc.
4.    culture: fashion, language, food, sports, etc.

Hints for Points
1.    Will my favorite species have gone extinct in the future? Will the energy policy go well?
2.    Which contemporary figures will be admired in the future?
3.    What kind of music will the future people be listening to?
4.    Will Japan national football team win the World Cup someday?
5.    How will the earth/our species end? When will I die?


Essay Structure
♦Sample essay structure in the case that you have two or three reasons to support your argument
Sample 1
Introduction = OutlineI would like to know how the language of Japan, where I live, will have changed.
Point 1The government is focused on the English education.
Point 2The Japanese society is shifting to a less homogenous one.
Point 3 / Counterargument-treatmentMy country has Japanized foreign elements throughout its history as Shuichi Kato points out in his book on the history of Japanese literature. However, with globalization in rapid progress, the language will be affected a lot.
Conclusion = Wrap-upNo matter how unfamiliar a language we may be speaking, I would like the soft and warm heart to be kept in the people.

Sample 2
Introduction = OutlineI would like to know whether I would be “happy” in the future.
Point 1I want to know whether I am on the right track now.
Point 2I would like to avert a crisis by learning the factors that can cause it.
Point 3 / Counterargument-treatmentWhile it is difficult to define what happiness is, there seems to be some range of life that we can call a happy life.
Conclusion = Wrap-upThe accumulation of the present is the future, so that making my present life happier can make my future happier.

♦Your Sample Essay Structure
Introduction = Outline

Point 1

Point 2

Point 3 / Counterargument-treatment

Conclusion = Wrap-up


Sample Paragraph Development
♦Sample Paragraph Development of Point 1 in Sample 2
Main IdeaI want to know whether I am on the right track now.
ExplanationI do not know what I am doing for the future will really make me happy.
Detail / Example in general For example, I spend most of my time doing what I believe is the best thing to do for my future, but I sometimes feel that I should be doing something totally different.
More Specific Detail / ExampleI spend most of my time studying and doing club activities to keep the record of my school life good. However, life might not unfold as planned and I might be missing something crucial to make me really happy. I might be happier in the future, for instance, if I traveled around the world as often as I can or read all day every day instead of studying all the time even during vacations.
Follow-up / Counterargument-treatmentI know that money and happiness don’t grow on trees and all play and no work makes Jack jobless, but I am not sure whether I will be really happy by doing what is not making me really happy now.
ConclusionI would like to know whether my future-self would be benefitting from my present lifestyle.


♦Your Sample Paragraph Development
Main Idea


Explanation



 Detail / Example in general




More Specific Detail / Example





Follow-up / Counterargument-treatment




Conclusion






0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

注: コメントを投稿できるのは、このブログのメンバーだけです。