2023年7月8日土曜日

TOEFL iBT Academic Discussion and Writing Do you prefer to spend your time alone or with friends? - rewrite -

Writing Topic: Some people prefer to spend most of their time alone. Others like to be with friends most of the time. Do you prefer to spend your time alone or with friends? Use specific reasons to support your answer.

 

 

Lets Think

1.       This question is about preference. What are the things that you should keep in mind in writing preference?

Notes: 1) Comparison: The question is not about why you like either of the two choices but why you like one better than the other. Thus, comparing and contrasting the choices to make your reason convincing is necessary in answering choice questions.  2) Background information: Preferences seem too obvious to explain while they are often difficult to understand to others, especially those who do not know you. Without background information, personal matters are difficult to understand, so you need to provide enough background information related to your preference to help your readers understand your answer.

2.     Share reasons with others who have the same taste of spending time as yours.

3.     Exchange questions and answers like Do you ever feel lonely? or Dont you get tired?

 

 

Hints for Points

Reasons for spending time alone.

1.       I am an introvert, and I just love being alone.

2.       People make me tired.

3.       I have many things I enjoy doing alone, although I want to see friends once in a while.

4.       Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

 

Reasons for spending time with friends

1.       As an extrovert, I feel happy when I am with others. Talking and playing with my friends is the best time.

2.       I feel lonely when I am alone. I want to share feelings and thoughts with my friends every day.

3.       Leaning from others and sharing things with others is exciting and productive.

4.       To learn social skills, to be socialized, and to grow, I try to be among others as much as possible.

 

 

Sample Essay Structures


Sample 1

IntroductionAlthough I like spending time with friends, I prefer to be alone most of the time.

FriendsI have friends and I enjoy spending time with them.

What I like to do aloneHowever, I like many things that should be done alone.  e.g. studies and hobbies

Another reasonTo build a good relationships, we need to have space to do our own things.

ConclusionI like activities that are better done alone, and absence makes the heart grow fonder.

 

 

Sample 2

IntroductionI prefer to be with my friends as much as possible because friends are the most important things in my life.

Reason 1Spending time with friends is good for my mind.

Reason 2The more we spend time together, the better we know each other.

Why I don’t like being aloneWhen I am alone, I do what I have to do alone such as studies, but they are not really enjoyable.

ConclusionThere is nothing better for me than being with friends.


 

Your Sample Essay Structure

Introduction

Point 1

Point 2

Point 3

Conclusion





 

Paragraph Development

Paragraph development is a key to giving sufficient background information. If a paragraph has only one sentence or two, it usually lacks some essential sentences such as supporting details (background information), or the main idea. A sample of a paragraph development is as follows:

                                            

Sample Paragraph Development

Main IdeaSpending time with friends is good for my mind.

Supporting Detail (General)The warmth of friendship is essential to my mental health.

Supporting Detail (Specific)When I am depressed or restless, I go out to see my friends. As I spend time with them, chatting, watching movies, or playing games, I gradually regain my confidence and energy.

Follow-up It does not matter whether I share my problems with my friends or not. Just being with them does the trick.

Conclusion Meeting friends helps me stay mentally healthy.

 

 

Your Sample Paragraph Development:

Main Idea                                                                                  

                                                                                            

Supporting Detail (general)                                                                                

                                                                                            

Supporting Detail (specific)                                                                                

                                                

                                       

                                                                                            

                                                                                             

Follow-up                                                                                

                                                                                            

                                     

                                                                                            

Conclusion                                                                               

                                                                                            

 

                                                                    

                                                   

                                                   

                                                   

                                                             

 

 

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

注: コメントを投稿できるのは、このブログのメンバーだけです。