2021年12月5日日曜日

TOEFL iBT Independent Writing Which do you prefer, socializing with large groups of people or spending social time with one or two very close friends? - revised -

Winter 2  Writing Topic

Some people like to socialize with large groups of friends. Others prefer to spend their social time with one or two very close friends. Compare the advantages of each choice. Which of these two ways of spending time do you prefer? Give reasons to support your answer.

 

 

Let’s Think

1.       Which of the following responses to this writing topic do you think is more appropriate as the thesis sentence for an essay for this writing topic?

a.     I think socializing with large groups of friends is better than spending social time with one or two very close friends because I think it beneficial.

b.     I prefer socializing with large groups of friends to spending social time with one or two very close friends because I like people.

 

Note: The word “think” is objective, while the word “prefer” is subjective. The question of this writing topic uses the word “prefer” not “think” although “think” can be used to express reasons for the thesis as a general idea can be part of the reasons for a preference. You can prefer socializing with large groups of friends because you think it beneficial.

 

2.       What are the advantages and disadvantages of each choice?

 

3.       Which of these two ways of spending time do you prefer? Why?

 

Hints for Points

Advantages of socializing with large groups of friends

1.     It involves activities that only a large group can do, such as a big party or a sporting event.

2.     It gives you experiences with many kinds of relationships, provides you with good information and opportunities, and develops your social skills.

3.     Your life will be open to society because it involves such activities as community events or parties.

4.     Groups have magic moments of many people laughing together or cooperating in a big project.

Counterargument: These relationships are superficial and will not last long Most relationships in life are superficial, and close relationships can develop with a few of those casual friends over time.

 

  Advantages of spend social time with one or two very close friends

1.     It allows you to talk about sensitive issues, such as politics and religion with friends.

2.     It enables you to know the person deeply, and it can develop into a long-lasting intimate relationship.

3.     It is relaxing because you know each other well.

4.     Decision-making is easy because close friends are usually of the same kind.

Counterargument: This kind of friendship narrows your view. Other social relationships such as as those with classmates, club members, and community members are enough to widen your views.

 

  Reasons of your preference

your character: outgoing shy

your goal: to broaden your horizon/perspective, to network for the future, to find the best person for a life-time friend to spend time meaningfully, to unwind yourself

 

Sample Essay Structures


A)      IntroductionI prefer socializing with large groups of friends to spending my social time with one or two close friends. I want to learn about life and people from many kinds of people.

Advantages of the first choiceHanging out with large groups of friends gives you chances to watch and interact with many kinds of people. I can also develop my communication skills.

Advantages of the second choiceBeing with one or two close friends all the time helps release stress. In addition, it will lead to a deep relationship gained through intimate interactions.

Your preferenceI like being among many people. I think it is helping me mature as a person. Also, although I long for an intimate relationship, I do not have any close friends right now.

ConclusionI choose to continue to be with as many people as possible, hoping that I can develop good friendships with one or two of them in the future.

 

B)      IntroductionI like spending my social time with one or two close friends better than socializing with large groups of friends because of my temperament.

Reason 1I cannot be satisfied with superficial knowledge in anything.

Reason 2I want to know my friend very well and have a meaning time with her.

CounterargumentSome may say that such a relationship makes me miss what large groups of people will offer and narrows my social life and my view. However, my busy life exposes me to many kinds of people and widens my perspectives every day. Therefore, there is no chance that I will become out of touch just because I spend much time with my best friend.

ConclusionChances to know a person well is very rare, so I would like to spend as much of my social time with a person I am interested in as possible.




Your one-paragraph essay

Introduction

 

Body 1

 

Body 2

 

Body 3

 

Conclusion

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

注: コメントを投稿できるのは、このブログのメンバーだけです。