2023年2月4日土曜日

TOEFL iBT Independent Writing  It is better to be a member of a group than to be the leader of a group. - revised -

Writing Topic

Consider the following statement. It is better to be a member of a group than to be the leader of a group. Do you agree or disagree with this idea? Support your response by including specific reasons and examples.

 

 

 

Lets Think

1.       Name examples of leaders.  e.g. captains, community organizers, managers, CEOs, Presidents, etc.

 

2.       Do you know of any examples of the problems or hardships that the leader of a group faces? If you do, share them with others. e.g. The prime minister has to take responsibility when a government official is involved in a malpractice or scandal.

 

3.       What are the advantages of being a member of a group and being the leader of a group?

 

 

Hints for Points

A member of a group

l  You can enjoy supporting the leader.

I like to see the whole picture and do what I can do to assist the leader and the other members. In a basketball game, for example, I like to read where the ball will go, be in the position to get it, and pass it to others so that the forward can make a shoot.

 

l  You can concentrate only on what you are good at or what you are told to do.

I am good at drawing pictures and other jobs that require concentration to details. I am always chosen to do such jobs in class projects and I am happy with it.

 

l  You can have your own time.

Although I like to work with others, I also value my own time. I like to be with my family and friends and I like to spend my time doing my hobby. Being a member of a group allows me to do them while a leader has to spend more time on making sure the project goes well and all members feel happy.

 

The leader of a group

l  You can manage the projects and the members in your own way.

My father used to work for a company before, and now he is the president of his own company. He is full of good ideas and enjoys implementing them. Before, his ideas were often rejected for reasons he did not understand, but now he can carry out whatever he thinks of and this makes him very happy.

 

l  You can grow up to a different level as a person.

Last year, I was elected to be the captain for the first time in my life. A year later, I realized that I had evolved to be a different person. In a year, I have become a better communicator than before. I have learned to mediate and organize. I have learned from my mistakes and I have become stronger, especially when I face criticisms. Also, I came to have the courage to make an important decision and take responsibility.

 

l  You can be entitled to be a manager of a company.

A person with experience as a leader is highly qualified as a manager. Working as the leader of a group grooms you to have a managerial job.

 

 

Sample Paragraph Development

Main IdeaBeing a member of a group is potentially dangerous because a member of a group is at the disposal of the leader, and a bad leader can throw the members into a predicament.

Supporting Detail (general)For example, in capitalist countries, the wealthy hold the power and make the government work for them, not for the people.

Supporting Detail (specific)The people in the U.S. have suffered from a huge inequality under ruthless capitalist politicians since the beginning of the nation. The same thing has been happening in Japan, especially in the last ten years. The former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and his successors, out of touch and cold to the public, have conducted crony capitalism. The economy has gone down as the GDP has come down from the 2nd to the 5th in the world and the people have become as ignorant as ever due to the media propaganda and intervention to education.

Follow-upDemocracy must reflect public opinions, but bad leaders will never listen and go tyrannical.

ConclusionThus, it is better for us citizens to be the leaders and work for everyone.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

注: コメントを投稿できるのは、このブログのメンバーだけです。