2023年2月19日日曜日

TOEFL iBT Independent Writing  High schools should allow students to study the courses that students want to study. - revised -

Writing Topic

Consider the following statement. High schools should allow students to study the courses that students want to study. Do you agree or disagree with this idea? Support your response by including specific reasons and examples.

 

 

 

Lets Think

1.       Name compulsory courses.

 

2.       Name elective courses.

 

3.       Universities allow students to choose courses. Why do high schools have compulsory courses?

 

 

Hints for Points

Agree

l  High school education is not a compulsory education.

General knowledge that students need to know to be a citizen has already been learned before high school. Therefore, students have no obligation to learn the subjects that the government, or the board of education, choose for them.

 

l  It is unnatural that all students study the same subjects.

We are all different. Each person needs his or her own set of courses to get the best out of his or her ability.

 

 

Disagree

l  Compulsory courses are necessary to keep up with college courses.

College education usually starts with liberal arts courses, or general courses of the advanced level. To prepare for this advanced level education, it is necessary that students who have finished the basic and intermediate levels of education in compulsory education deepen the understanding and increase the knowledge of the intermediate level of all the compulsory subjects.

 

 

l  It is difficult for high school students to know what subjects they should choose for their future.

High school students are still growing and changing. It is necessary that they be exposed to a variety of courses of main subjects so that they are given more opportunities to think about their aptitudes and interests before they focus only on the subjects of their interest.

 

 

Sample Paragraph Development

Main IdeaChoice from two major disciplines, the humanities and science, will decide what compulsory courses high school students take, and this can narrow the range of opportunities for their future.

Supporting Detail (general)This can happen because what they need to learn is often different from what they are interested in.

Supporting Detail (specific)When I had to choose from either the humanities or science to move up to the second grade in my high school, I was interested in English and chose the humanities even though I was better at mathematics and science than history and literature. As a result, although I was happy to take many English courses, I had to spend grinding hours learning the other compulsory subjects of the humanities curriculum that I was not very good at. If the school had allowed me to take courses that I wanted to learn instead of having me choose a set of mandatory courses, I would have focused on taking credits more easily and chosen more courses of mathematics and science than the humanities courses, and in the end, I could have realized that I should be trained in these fields and study English as a hobby.

Follow-upAlthough following my passion to English-learning would have been a significant thing to do in deciding my lifestyle, I am not sure if it has helped me reach the full potential of my life. This problem can apply to many students since not many 16-year-olds can see themselves objectively.

ConclusionTherefore, courses should be elective and students should be allowed to take time to know themselves.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

注: コメントを投稿できるのは、このブログのメンバーだけです。