2022年11月11日金曜日

TOEFL iBT Independent Writing Would you rather have the university assign students to share a room with you, or would you rather choose your own roommates?

Writing Topic

Suppose that dormitory rooms at your college must be shared by two or three students. Would you rather have the university assign students to share a room with you, or would you rather choose your own roommates? Use specific details and examples in your response.

 

 

 

Let’s Think

1.     If the assignment of the roommate by the university is random, how would it be?

 

2.     If the assignment of the roommate by the university not random, are there any problems?

 

3.     What are the advantages and disadvantages of selecting your roommate by yourself?

 

 

Hints for Points

1.       Randomness may bring interesting experiences. It may also make me mature.

2.       I would like to make friends with many different people and understand them.

3.       College life is to interact with many different people to expand your mind.

4.       I do not want other people to decide who I should live with.

5.       University may either put the same kind of people together or the other way around. Either way will make some students unhappy.

6.       I would choose my best friends as my roommates for good memories and would do things we can only do during college years like discussing all night every day.

7.       I would like to choose my roommates to make the best environment for study.

8.       I would rather live with people who are similar to me because it would stabilize my college life.

9.       I would rather be with quiet and kind people.

 

 

Sample Essay Structure


A          

Introduction

My idea about college life

University’s choice

My choice

Conclusion

B

Introduction

Good point 1

Good point 2

Bad points and why I do not care

Conclusion


 

 

Sample Paragraph Development

Main IdeaThe authority may make university choices racist.

Supporting Detail (General)As I am a Japanese, they may make me join other Asian students.

Supporting Detail (Specific)Although I have no problem with sharing a room with other Asians, this is different from what I expect in my college life. I would like to live with people from non-Asian countries to experience totally different values and mindset to from mine for mutual understanding.

Follow-upUniversity officials may think it for the good of Asians to stay together in a non-Asian country, but this is not what they are supposed to assume.

ConclusionUniversities should not decide which students should live together.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

注: コメントを投稿できるのは、このブログのメンバーだけです。