2014年3月13日木曜日

TEOFL iBT, Independent Writing, What would you choose to learn about the future and why?



Writing Topic

Imagine that you had the power to know one thing about the future. What would you choose to learn and why? Offer specific reasons and details to support your choice.

 

 

Let’s Think

One of the main characters of the Sci-fi classic, Back to the Future, , accidentally visits the future, buys a copy of almanac to learn some future information for gambling, and tries to get rich after coming back to the present. The leading character, on the other hand, tries to fix the bond of his family, which he finds failed in the future, by time-traveling. What is your main concern about the future? What makes you concerned about it? Would it benefit you to learn the information? In another recent sci-fi short story, Sibyl by Deborah Walker, the future teller with the name goes, “You can’t change the past; (you can change) only the future”.

 

Here are some keys for your thought:

My main concern about the future is related to …

1.    the environment: climate change, endangered species, etc.

2.    the world: future authorities, the gap between the rich and the poor, etc.

3.    economy: next financial meltdown, etc.

4.    medicine: highly-sophisticated medical technology, etc.

5.    culture: fashion, language, food, etc.

6.    life: the future outlook of my hometown, the day I die, etc.

 

Hints for Points

1.    Will my favorite species have gone extinct in the future?

2.    How will future humans/animals/plants look?

3.    Will the energy policy go well?

4.    Which figures in history will be admired in the future?

5.    Will the world be governed by a few extremely rich people?

6.    What kind of music will the future people be listening to?

7.    Will Japan national football team win the World cup someday?

8.    When is the next catastrophe?

9.    Who in my school will be the most successful in the future?

10.  Will Japan be more internationalized?

11.  How will the earth/our species end?

12.  When will I die?

 

 

Essay Structure

♦Sample essay structure in the case that you have two or three reasons to support your argument

Sample 1

Introduction = Outline】 主張と理由の概略  I would like to know when the next huge disaster will occur.

Point 1】理由1の詳細  Financial and technological preparation would be efficient.

Point 2】理由2の詳細  People can evacuate well in time.

Point 3 / Counterargument-treatment】理由3の詳細または反論の処理 The news might panic people, but it could also lessen the death toll.

Conclusion = Wrap-up】結論  While we should be ready for the worst whether it is foretold or not, information about the future disaster would help make the most out of life.

 

Sample 2

Introduction = Outline】 主張と理由の概略  I would like to know whether I would be “happy” in the future.

Point 1】理由1の詳細  I want to know whether I am on the right track now.

Point 2】理由2の詳細  I would like to avert a crisis by learning the factors that can cause it.

Point 3 / Counterargument-treatment】理由3の詳細または反論の処理  While it is difficult to define what happiness is, there seems to be some range of life that we can call a happy life.

Conclusion = Wrap-up】結論 The accumulation of the present is the future, so that making my present life happier can make my future happier.

 

♦Your Sample Essay Structure

Introduction = Outline

 

Point 1

 

Point 2

 

Point 3 / Counterargument-treatment

               

 

Conclusion = Wrap-up

 

 

 

 

 

Paragraph development

 

A paragraph of the body of an essay often develops its main idea as follows:

Main Idea (主張)

Explanation (主張の説明)

Detail / Example in general (一般的な例)

More Specific Detail / Example (より具体的な例)

Follow-up / Counterargument-treatment (補足または反論の処理)

Conclusion (結論)

 

 

Sample Paragraph Development

♦Sample Paragraph Development of Point 1 in the sample essay structure above

Main Idea (主張)

I want to know whether I am on the right track now.

Explanation (主張の説明)

I do not know what I am doing for the future will really make me happy.

Detail / Example in general (一般的な例)

For example, I spend most of my time doing what I believe is the best thing to do for my future, but I sometimes feel that I should be doing something totally different.

More Specific Detail / Example (より具体的な例)

I spend most of my time studying and doing club activities to keep the record of my school life good. However, life might not unfold as planned and I might be missing something crucial to make my future really happy. I might be happier in the future, for instance, if I traveled around the world as often as I can or read all day every day instead of studying all the time even during vacations.

Follow-up / Counterargument-treatment (補足または反論の処理)

I know that money and happiness don’t grow on trees and all play and no work makes Jack jobless, but I am not sure whether I will be really happy by doing what is not making me really happy now.

Conclusion (結論)

I would like to know whether my future self would be benefitting from my present lifestyle.

 

 

 

 

♦Your Sample Paragraph Development

Main Idea (主張)

 

 

 

Explanation (主張の説明)

 

 

 

 

 Detail / Example in general (一般的な例

 

 

 

 

More Specific Detail / Example (より具体的な例)

 

 

 

 

 

Follow-up / Counterargument-treatment (補足または反論の処理)

 

 

 

 

 

Conclusion (結論)

 

 

 


0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

注: コメントを投稿できるのは、このブログのメンバーだけです。